Why Sunscreens are Critical to Sun Safety
Approximately 9,500 Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer every day – that’s nearly 3.5 million people per year. Dermatologists say even one severe sunburn can double your chances of getting a form of skin cancer. According to the World Health Organization, experts believe that 4 out of 5 cases of skin cancer are preventable. Healthcare professionals and regulatory authorities worldwide say that using effective sunscreens is a critical part of staying safe in the sun and preventing skin cancer.
That’s why it’s essential to use sunscreen filters that deliver maximum protection from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. By using a diverse set of organic and mineral sunscreen ingredients, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health develops science-backed sunscreens that provide superior sun protection.
Did You Know These Facts About Sunscreen?
- The active ingredients in sunscreens that help prevent UV rays from getting through to the skin are called filters.
- Not all sunscreen filters are equal. Some filters only protect against UVA rays that penetrate deep into the skin and cause long-term UV skin damage, while others protect against UVB rays that cause sunburns. Only a few filters protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Because every sunscreen ingredient serves a different purpose, it’s important to understand that each filter provides value in delivering the best options for optimal sun protection. We use some of the following filters in our sunscreen formulations:
- Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate*
- Octyl Triazone*
- Ethylhexyl Triazone*
UVA + UVB Filters
- Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine*
- Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol*
- Tris-Biphenyl Triazine*
- Titanium Dioxide
- Zinc Oxide
*Not yet approved by FDA
Protecting Public Health
As a leading healthcare company and maker of sunscreen, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health believes that healthy skin is essential for a healthy life. We are committed to reducing the incidence of sunburn and preventable skin cancer through our science-backed sunscreens and sun safe education. And, we provide a variety of sunscreen formulations because we know that consumer preferences vary and the most effective sunscreen is one that consumers will use.
We adhere to a strict safety assurance process for every product we make. As an industry leader in suncare, we help people around the world understand and respect the power of the sun, the center of our galaxy yet the greatest environmental cause of premature aging and preventable skin cancer. At Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health, our mission is to ensure healthy lives for all, every day, from their first day and to this end, we’re working to ensure consumers feel confident wearing sunscreen as a healthy choice.
Safe for the Environment
We are committed to developing products that are gentle on the environment. Recently, some sunscreen filters have been called into question. For example, concerns about the effects of oxybenzone on coral reefs have led to widespread misinformation about the safety of many sunscreens in the marine environment. The fact is, there is no validated science that demonstrates a link between sunscreens and global coral decline. According to environmental experts around the world, coral decline is primarily due to ocean warming and acidification, as well as local stressors like physical disturbance, overfishing, and the spread of coral disease and invasive species. Evidence does not support the conclusion that sunscreen is driving or exacerbating coral decline or preventing coral recovery. In fact, the early and highly publicized study that elevated this conversation has not been replicated or supported by new science to date.